Please utilise this space to search this blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

My next 10 squared


In taking a brief hiatus from the Life in a year full of Saturdays and the upcoming Reflections in a stream of consciousness I've decided to put together a list of my next 100 places, events, things of general stupidity and utter madness  - things that you would normally associate with...well me. So I'll be utilising this as kind of a bucket list because I'm sick of watching channel V and being told of all these cool things that I should have done 'Before 30'. Seriously though, that's the name of their show 'Before 30'!  It's almost like they're saying that after that time you're not cool enough to think of anything else other than what type of Zimmer frame you're going to be acquiring, and by the way, will the purchase be in the standard white or the new rockin' grey that all the oldies are going for these days?

Thinking that I might make this a two-parter,   so here goes part one of 'My next ten squared'.

The top 10   'You want to go and do what!?'

1. 'Running with the bulls' - Pamplona (Spain)
Did  you ever play 'bull rush' in school? Well this is nothing like it. Flying down  825mtrs  of  cobble stoned streets and tight corners wearing tight white pants and a red scarf to attract attention! Don't worry though, it's not the red that actually does it, apparently the bulls are attracted to movement. Just stand still and be 'very, very quiet', pretend that you're hunting rabbits!
2. Bungee jump over the Zambezi - (Zambia/Zimbabwe)
Aside from safely getting through Zimbabwe these days which is a contact sport in itself, the next best opportunity of freaking yourself out has to be throwing yourself out into the abyss and at the same time taking in the spectacular surrounds of Victoria Falls. That's got to be worth the price of admission, huh!?
[Air time special] 

3. Mt Huashan 'Hiking trail' - Shaanxi Province (China)
This one came to me from JJ a few years back, it's so good that some of the images remain crystal clear in my mind. What's so daring about a hiking trail, right? A walk in the park, free and easy, 'peace, love and mung beans baby, it's all toast'.Listening to the birds, taking in the surrounds, being at one with mother earth. As Robin says, 'One slip and you be fukto!'

4. Tower jump Macau - Macau (China)
So I threw this in at number four because I sort of figured that a warm up over the Zambezi might successfully lead the way to this classical piece of stupidity! Seriously though, just watching the footage scares the crap out of me. I'm going to need 20 tequila shots to get over the fact that I've decided to throw myself out into the Macau sky 233mtrs above an 'air matress'. What the hell do they have that mattress as the bottom for anyway? lol.
[WTF!!!]
[Ah sh*t]  - the response of this kid says it all!
.
5.Volcano 'snowboarding', or is that ash boarding, or sand boarding? - Cerro Negro (Nicaragua)
OK, so my boarding skills are pretty good, I can take most hills on the fly. Lets try those skills out moving down on sand that just also happens to be on an active volcano huh? Why the hell not!?
.
6. Devil's pool - Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe)
Apparently this isn't dangerous at all, 'apparently'...but check out the dumb asses that make their way to the edge in order to get a better view of the drop. Yeah, I want to be one of those guys!

7. Try ayahuasca - Peruvian Amazon or Brazilian Amazon
Used as a way to communicate with spirits, wonder through different dimensions or simply check out and see what your ancestors are up to right now, it's basically a psychoactive infusion that will allow you to walk into hell and back.....have fun!

8. Swimming in Antarctica - Deception island, Antarctic peninsula
Tell people that you went for a swim in Antarctica! How many people are going to believe you?
9. Everest base camp - Khumbu region (Nepal)
Like you wouldn't want to get to base camp on Everest? Please......

10. Checking out some wild gorillas - Mountains of the moon (Uganda)
After experiencing 'supposedly' tame and non-aggressive pumas in Bolivia I'm kind of hesitant to take a walk amongst these behemoth's in their own territory - but as they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? 

The top 10  'I can't believe they built that'

1. Machu Picchu - (Peru)
The devastatingly beautiful and dramatic Inca site stands nearly 2500 mtrs above sea level on the precipice of a mountain ridge hanging above the Urubamba Valley. This was one of those 'so close and yet so far' places for me. One week out from getting onto the Inca trail and my wallet was hijacked and the chance of getting to this place vanished. It's not going to happen to me twice....and oh yes, apparently it's one of the new seven world wonders.
[Sunrise over Machu Picchu]

2. Petra - (Jordan)
A place that's been hanging around since the 6th century BC, they just decided to coolly cut this place into the rock. No dramas at all. Who comes up with a crazy idea like that? You're chilling out with your goat herder friend Adnan one day and then say, 'Yo, Adnan, we should get to carving some funky stuff out of the rock right there'. Adnan, never one to think big says, 'Oh yeah my man, I've been wanting to carve our names out of that same piece of rock also, just didn't think you'd be into it'. It's only 50 years later that Adan realises that you really did 'want to go big!'
[Petra] - the music here is a little 'dramatic'

3. Potala Palace - Lhasa (Tibet)
Imagine bringing a friend back to your place for dinner and telling them, 'That's my place up on the hill, and oh yeah, I'm also the reincarnation of Buddha himself. Most of my friends are cool with it'
[Potala Palace]

4. Great pyramids of Giza - Cairo (Egypt)
So do you really need a link for this place?


5. Abu Simbel - Nubia (Egypt)
Seriously, sometimes you would  just hate to be a project manager! Back in 1968 went they decided to build the Aswan dam which would have effectively sunk the temples they came up with the idea of cutting these boys up and moving them to higher ground, 'no pressure, just have them moved somewhere else will you'.
[Abu Simbel]

6. The Alhambra - Granada (Spain)
I've got a 'thing' for Spain. It is by quite a fair margin the best country that I've been to thus far, so any reason that gets me back means that makes the top 10 on the list.
[The Alhambra]

7. Hagia Sophia - Istanbul (Turkey)
Orthodox basilica, mosque, museum. This place has worn quite a number of hats in its time. Residing in a town that straddles two continents,  it was known to be the world's largest cathedral for nearly a thousand years until that crown was taken from it by a little building in Seville. Those damn Spanish, they're just so good!
[Hagia Sophia]

8. Mosque of D'jenne- D'jenne (Mali)
Did you know that Timbuktu is in Mali? It was the only reason that I wanted to ever go to Mali until I found out that there was this monumental building of mud brick just standing there down the road.
[Mosque of D'jenne]

9. Church of St.George - Lalibela (Ethiopia)
So we all know that the 'Saints can't play' but having a church cut out of the rock (again with the damn rock) and dedicated to you is kind of cool. It's not anywhere that you can easily get to, I mean there's no direct bus services out there but I think that's what makes it all the more appealing.
[Church of St.George]

10. Blue mosque -  Isfahan (Iran)  
 Listen to the music on this video and tell me that it's not kind of odd?
[Blue mosque] 

The top 10  'Get your good vibes on'

1. Carnivale - Rio de Janiero (Brazil)
If this wasn't number one then I'd probably have to go and get my head examined. Aside from it being Brazil, aside from the caipirinha's, aside from the beautiful beaches, aside from the beautiful women....I'm sorry, what was I saying again?
[The biggest party on earth]

2. Festival de San Fermin - Pamplona (Spain)
Sangria, tapas, great music and a little bit of madness, or is that muchos madness. San Fermin rocks more than just a couple of bull runs.
[If you thought the bulls were crazy - check this out]

3. La Tomatina - Valencia (Spain)
How many times in your life can you get amongst it with 100,000 other people and start carving out your very own little bit of carnage with the aid of a million tomatoes? I'm sure that there's a few Italian chefs that would be crying over the waste each year. Stuff it though, I just want to throw tomatoes!
[Anyone for salsa?]

4. Las Fallas - Valencia (Spain)
This one is for the pyro's amongst us. Anything with a hell of a lot of fire must be a good thing.
[Who's the twisted firestarter?]

5. Holi in Jaipur - (India)
Again with the throwing of things! This time its just paint, all sorts, types, styles. It's a total ejaculation of colour. Oh yes, I just used the word 'ejaculation'.
[Holi]

6. Oktoberfest - Munich (Germany)
Really, you don't need to be genious to work it out.
[Enough said]

7. Festival au desert - Essakne (Mali)
You know I thought that Mali only had perhaps one thing going for it, that fabled place of Timbuktu, which I have come to find out over the years actually exists. Then there was the mud brick mosque of D'jenne and now they have some time of warped festival out in the desert that makes you wonder, what the hell is it that they're taking in Mali? I'll tell you when I get back.
[What is this all about?]

8. Burning Man  - Black Rock desert, Nevada (USA)
Weirdness and weirdness is a great combination!
[Burning man]

9. Mardi Gras - New Orleans, Louisiana (USA)
I'm always a fan when it comes to etiquette, protocol and tradition. Throwing beads for the sake of the 'sacred reveal', well it just wouldn't be New Orleans without that custom now would it!?
[Show us your beads!]

10. Full moon party - Koh Phangan (Thailand)
24hrs of stupidity, sign me up NOW.
[Survive it if you can!]

The top 10 'Oh yeah, that was just awesome'

I think these places just speak for themselves.

1. Fernando de Noronha- (Brazil)
[Fernando de Noronha]
.
2. Perito Moreno glacier - Patagonia (Argentina)
[Perito Moreno]
.
4. Cotopaxi - (Ecuador)
[Cotopaxi]
.
5. Angela Falls -  (Venezuela)
[Angel Falls]
.
6. Iguazu Falls - (Argentina/Brazil)
[Iguazu Falls]
.
7. Salar de Uyuni - (Bolivia)
[The Salar]
.
8. Santorini (Greece)
[Santorini]
.
9. Check out the aurora borealis - Svalbard archipelago (Norway)
[Aurora] and another great [Aurora]
.
10. Gulmarg - Kashmir (India)
[Gulmarg]

If you've been counting up until this point you would have realised that I've ended it at the 40 mark. I know, even I get lazy sometimes...or, is it just my ploy to get you to revisit and see if I actually do make the century. The better question is, who really cares?


The end to my next 10 squared will be coming to a blog near you soon...ish