Please utilise this space to search this blog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Kuala Lumpur - KL Streetsmarts


JJ and I took it to the streets after a few hours spent indoors recovering from our flight. What initially commenced as a search for Petronas Towers and some incidental KL discovery turned into an impromptu pub crawl, well, as impromptu as two alcoholics could make it without actually colluding consciously.

I can't remember the name of the first place that we stopped but it was a warm up Carlsberg before making our way down the street to the Beach Bar for frozen margaritas of all shapes, colours and tastes.

The Stairway to heaven - Beach Bar - Kuala Lumpur
The Stairway to heaven wasn't the only ethereal offering at the Beach bar. This shot was actually inspired by some monk who had disappeared either up or behind the stairs after ripping me of via a faux blessing and associated trinket. I think it went something like, (Monk), 'I see a tourist, time to get my spiritual game on' - (Henry) 'Oh, how charming, a monk has chosen to offer me a blessing out of all these masses of equivalent dumbasses, (Monk), 'Locked in Eddie, insert fake cowshit blessing here, (Henry) 'Well, thanks Monkey, that was kind of amusing, (Monk) 'Ok, now for the scam. So the monk hands over his trinket after the blessing and starts almost humming, 'Money, money, money' - seriously, it sounding like a bee buzzing around my head although I knew that he was angling for some ringitt. The Monkey even suggested some BS amount before I parted with 1/20 of what he requested! Dude, it's a blessing, not a lesson in naivety. Ofcourse, it was a lesson of the later and after the little bastard disappeared I felt like chasing him down and shoving the trinket in his face with a request for a refund.
Onwards and upwards, and in doing so JJ and I found our way to another cool bar where cocktails were plentiful, delivered with some great alcohol content and generally provided us with that comfortable holiday vibe. We also managed to dodge a torrential downpour later in the evening, which was neither here nor there because we really weren't moving anytime soon, the margaritas were pretty damn good.
Our other partners in all this alcohol induced gave us a call a few hours later and invited us back to the beach bar for a continuation of festivities before heading off in search of some authentic Indian or Malayan food, whichever came first. From memory I believe the aim was to check out Little India but my memory fails me several months after the event, oh, to be 20, lively, spritely and to have my memory back.....now, where was I??

Lights on Petronas - Kuala Lumpur
We managed to get ourselves some reasonable food that night for 'cheap cheap' before heading back into Chinatown for what was inevitably going to be more drinking - it had to happen. By good fortune rather then design we stumbled across the Beatles Bar which happened to be, 'All Beatles, ALL the time' - apologies to Beatles fans, but the Fab Four tick me off, frankly I think they're average and their 'sameness' is infuriating but I can deal when I'm a few drinks down. What made this place tres cool however was not the music but the set up. Not only was there great alcohol on offer but it presented to us a fantastic Sheeshing opportunity with bare footed abandon, amongst plush cushions, close to the floor tables, and all others things Arabic - a far more Moroccan feel than was comfortable for KL, but I wasn't complaining.
Beatles Bar - in Chinatown - Kuala Lumpur



Jase getting his Sheesh on - Beatles Bar - Chinatown - Kuala Lumpur
The night ending up being fairly decent, inevitably long and one filled with that initial 'holiday vibe', you know, the one right at the start of proceedings where all things seem possible and that excited, chilled, 'I can do what I want, at will' vibe is still in the air. On this occasions I often to my own mental assessment on how things may fare or where they may fracture. All in all, the group seemed to be in good spirits but even then, like I didn't know before I left, that Jase would inevitably end up pissing me off...and I guess in the same manner I'd do the same thing to him...that in itself is probably another story left for another time and place. Lets just say that on this night we all finished up wondering back through Chinatown in the early hours with the lyrics of 'Yellow Submarine' firmly in the forefront of hours minds.

No comments: