Please utilise this space to search this blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mardid - Spain v.Portugal




Madrid (Spain)
29 JUNE 2010


So obviously Madrid is awash in red and yellow at this moment in time. Second round clashes have been going on for the last few days down in Sud Africa and you kind of feel like the citizens of the capital are all anxiously awaiting to undertake an examination. They have that nervous tension where they kind of feel like they should pass but  aren't quite certain because you never know what type of questions that will be asked and how they are likely to perform under the pressure of such an intense and thorough examination. For mine I'm off the opinion that Spain will definitely make the semi's and have the team to win the thing BUT are not playing with the type of form that won them the Euro's in 2008. They will have a semi opponent in the form of Argentina or Germany, by no means an easy task (..by the way, I did tip Argentina to win the tournament before it even commenced, just saying...), and 'should' they get past them, then Brazil will await.

My mission this morning was to try and locate the Mercado San Miguel which 'apparently' was located just behind the  Teatro Real. I walked around the theatre and the instricate gardens out  front of the Teatro, I also meandered around the front of the freakin' Palacio Real for 30 mins, I dropped into the backstreets and even traced my path of the evening before, ensuring that I didn't miss some secret door or handshake that I should have realised was obligatory to making it into the precious mercado. After well over an hour I was about to give up on finding this place, 'giving up' by the way is not a decision I ever take lightly, it truly ticks me off, even in the most basic of situations. I started walking up Calle Mayor and then quite by accident took a right hand turn into the Plaza San Miguel, and 'hey presto', the mercado was staring me in the face just like an old friend. Sangria and tapa's centro, ole!!!! This place was fantastic, it kind of reminded me of a food & wine fair, the only difference being is that this place is set up on a permanent basis - a trick that Sydney could well learn from rather than spending copious amounts of $$$ on stupid sound and light festivals, (please see the failure of 'Vivid'), whose dates were set in the middle of winter and whose locations were scattered all across the city where access by public transport made it a plain hassle to get to. Sydney, we have issues - smarten the bloody hell up!

Cruising through Plaza Mayor and settling in for some more sangria and a plate of bacon, seriously, just a plate of bacon - it was kind of fiendish, I dropped into some bar close to the Plaza Santa Anna to watch the Japan v. Paraguay game (yawn) and then made it back to the apartment for a chill session before heading out to catch the big game.


´Sangria time´- Plaza Mayor - Madrid

Kick-off for the big clash was at 20:30 but the streets were already quietening down by 20:00. The bar that I was in, the 'Jolly Jiggler' or the 'Frisky Fondler', I can't really remember the name, was packed out well before game time. I was also fortunate enough to make friends with an Aussie waitress that was working our side of the room, so whenever I kind of half raised an eyebrow she was on the case and bringing me over a drink. What I didn't understand however is that she had no Spanish speaking skills at all. Admittedly she was working in an Irish bar but she was asking the home town patrons whether they spoke English and then requesting to take their order in English!? How do you get a job without knowing the language?? Imagine trying that on for size in any bar or restaurant in Sydney!

The first half of the game was a stalemate, Spain looked to be on top but those pesky Portuguese had created enough chances to have the Spanish in the bar fearing for their safety. I've got to add also, the Spanish have a track record of stuffing things up at the World Cup, they, along with the Dutch, are well known world cup under achievers. If anyone has a penchant for going down in the face of victory, then my friends, I introduce the Spanish to you. 

Into the second half Spain were looking the goods however and once the 62nd minute turned the corner and David Villa got a kind rebound which allowed him  to put Spain up 1-0, well my friends, the 'Wily Wench' went nuts. Holding on for the next 28 mins of the game didn't prove to be too much of a problem and the Spaniards went through to the QF's full of confidence and with every chance under the sun of getting past Paraguay to make the semi's.


Crowd for the Spain v. Portugal game at the Frisky Fondler

After the game I made my way to Puerta del Sol which is essentially the  beating heart of Madrid, especially on nights such as these. There was action aplenty as finally it seemed that the hometown had something to cheer about when it came to success and its ever growing potential in a World Cup. The town folk were more than up for a little bit of a party, jumping, chanting, getting their 'matidor' on...but they know, just like everyone else, that the enthusiasm and euphoria is only going to last for a few days. Next exam for them is Paraguay on 03 JUL and all  this anticipation and anxiety is going to rise to the surface once again, but until then it's Vamos Espana!!


Puerta del Sol - Madrid


Puerto del Sol - Madrid



Puerta del Sol - Madrid



Get your matador on!!