Please utilise this space to search this blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Madrid - 'Una mas mojito por favor' - Argentina stops the traffic

Madrid (Spain)


The words 'una mas' does wonders! Once you've purchased a drink and are looking for a follow up then 'una mas' with a kindly 'por favor' saves all difficulties. It simply means 'one more please' but for the struggling Spanish student it's a God sent and saves a lot of time and effort on any additional requirements. In any case, this day started with me walking down the street and making it to the apartment that I'd rented out on Calle Caballero de Gracia. After I'd been taken for a spin of the apartment via the agent that I'd located online several months earlier I decided that I was more than satisfied with my digs. I kind of make it a point now that If I'm staying in a city for more than three days that my lead choice for accommodation is an apartment, on the proviso that I have sufficient funds. Comparatively I find that hotels are more often than not significantly overpriced and you always get better deals, much better accommodation and far better locations when you rent an apartment. Hence with my place located just off the Gran Via I found that I  basically in the centre of Madrid and close to everything that I wanted to see, do, and crawl home from.

I'd made the decision that today was basically going to be a walking tour. I started by making my way down to Plaza Mayor, the most 'touristy' place in Madrid, and basically walked into the middle of a left wing union rally- actually they had the word trabajer on their flags which I think Imeans ´workers´, so I´m guessing they were the United Left Workers party of some sort. Now, what is it that all sites/people/ 'SmartTravellers' say when you see an over zealous gathering of people chanting, waving flags, and being fuelled by over politicised rhetoric? Walk away, right?? That's what they all say....well my friends I believe that philosophy to be just plain silly, where would the fun be in that?? Not that I could understand any of what was going on but the crowd appeared to be well enthralled and enamoured with their speakers.

The United Left - Plaza Mayor - Madrid


The United Left - Plaza Mayor - Madrid


Post rally I made my way down to La Latina, just walking the streets once again and trying to get a feel for my environment which in turn followed on to an area that was basically blocks and blocks of bars, somewhere above Calle Atocha, fairly close to Plaza de Santa Ana. This is the area in which I was going to stay for the next few hours, making base at another Irish bar in order to watch the Argentina v. Mexico 2nd round game. Pulling up a table 30 mins before kick-off I had the bar man to myself and practiced some of my Spanish with his assistance - 'quisiera pedir una pinta sidar por favor', 'cuanto cuesta?', 'muchas  gracias bro'...he was cool with my pronunciations, correcting me where I needed it.

La Latina - Madrid


La Latina - Madrid
The game itself manifested into an outcome that I had somehow kind of expected, Mexico creating some opportunities and having its chances but Argentina playing in a manner that they are typically reknowned for, one of skill, flair and tactical nause. They just had too much quality to be significantly troubled by the little Dirty Sanchezes that were hecho en Mexico. So now it appears that it's going to be 'game on' for an epic QF showdown with Germany, a rerun of the '06 QF and one that I believe Argentina have the capability of winning within the 90 mins this time around.

 Leaving the dire Mexican crowd that had gathered at the Irish bar, I was walking up Calle Atocha when I heard several chants echoing from a few streets farther afield. Of course a huge crowd gathering automatically means that I need to be in on the action. Rounding a bend and heading up Calle Barcelona I immediately encountered a couple of hundred Argentinians singing, chatting, waving their shirts/scarves above their heads 'helicopter style' and generally stopping all traffic that had intended to use that road. The place was literally 'going off', the vuvuzuela's were out in force, the balconies above the streets had somehow filled with Argentinian supports also and it was only at the point when the police made an apperance that  the traffic started to move gingerly down the street. God help Madrid if Spain wins on Tuesday night, or better yet, if Argentina play Spain in the semi's and anyone of them get through to the final - the atmosphere on the streets will be insane..!!!!