Please utilise this space to search this blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Madrid - Why do old men dance?

Madrid (Spain)
28 June


I'm in the bar the other day watching the Paraguay v.Japan match, one that was most un-enthralling. I kind of anticipated that it was going to get pushed to a penalty shoot out and  both teams brought to fruition the $100,000 sum that I mentally made with TAB Sportsbet via the betting counter in the play world of my mind. That as an aside, at half time the bar staff  decided put on and turn up a little Latino music and of course some geezer that's been perched at the bar for most of the afternoon gets on his feet and does that quintessential 'old person' wiggle of the hips in tandem with a kind of stunted arm movement. The type of movement that convinces him that he's dancing, but nobody else of course. I've seen this type of stupidity in most countries that I've been to. I don't know if it's a lack of shame, an attempt to recapture days of youth that had well and truly fallen by the wayside, or perhaps even a misquided attempt to show the young nubile ladies that he's still 'potent'. I don't 'get' it, but I can tell you now, neither do I like it! More to the point is that I feel embarrassed on the persons' behalf and am not sure whether I should raise my eyebrows and offer a courtesy nod  in sympathetic encouragement or look away because watching the guy will literally make me tear up due to my own internal conflicted anguish. There's one thing that I do know however, I don't dance now and I won't be dancing when I'm 80 - old men of the world, if you don't have the skills (And 95% of you don't), just quit it, for the sake of everyone!!!!!

My intention on this day was to check out the Museo del Prado but of course I should have known that as I rocked up to the doors it was bound to be closed on a Monday. Not to be defeated, I walked down the street and decided on the Reina-Sofia museum, not as well known as the Prado but apparently one that many find of interest. At the entrance I found out that there was some works of 'New Realism' and a 'Photography Collection' of the 70's on display, both of which I thought would be interesting - but guess what, wrong!!!! Both of the collections were absolutely crap and I chided myself for spending untold hours looking at what I considered to be garbage, although, one man's garbage is another man's treasure, right? There's a veritable gold mine in there for somebody.

Heading east I walked through Retiro Park, a huge expanse that is located right on the edge of the city. It's a beautiful place and the size of it allows you to believe that you could be anywhere but in one of the largest and most modern cities of Europe. It gave me a little time to get my Spanish tan on and just lose myself in my own thoughts whilst meandering along its many paths.


Monumento Alfonso XII - Retiro Park - Madrid


Spanish Style - Madrid

Later in the afternoon and evening I walked through the area of Cheuca, a suburb north of the Gran Via known for its trendy bars and restaurants, not that I noticed many of them as it was still early afternoon. With that said, Madrid is just 'bar central', everywhere you turn there's a tapas bar that's willing to feed you and get a cerveza or several into you. Not only that, these places are cool, there's a charm and elegance about them, there's always a good vibe and you can always get some pretty decent food on call.


Chueca - Madrid



Not that I stopped in at a bar on this night, I somehow made my way into an Argentinian joint to watch the Brazil v.Chile game, another forgone conclusion before a ball was even kicked, Brazil were going to win this thing in a cantor and it was no suprise when then end result ended up being 3-0 in their favour. Brazil through to the  QF's now to play a Dutch side that are still looking a bit out of sorts. These boys of joga bonito seem to be able to do it every time. I mean it's not the best Brazilian team that has been on the park, and this team isn't in the best form but with that said they've essentially got a free run to the finals. Beat the Dutch in the QF's and they'll play the winner of either Uruguay or Ghana, both of whom had fairly realistic expectations at the start of the tournament of 'perhaps' getting a second round birth. It would be an over achievement for either of them to reach the semi's and to come up against a Brazil team with such tradition in the biggest sporting tournament on this planet, it will be more than just a bridge too far. for either of them. So for right now it looks like a Brazil v.Spain/Argentina/Germany final. The other side of the draw is much more intense and I think the winner of that side will more than likely beat Brazil in a classic final.

After a little bocadillo and sangria action I went out in search of Mercado San Miguel which is apparently a well known tapas/market centre in Madrid. Using my infamous internal guidance system I got close - only to realise the next day that the map online actually had the location poorly identified and poorly positioned. Needless to say, my walks took me around the Templo de Debod, then onto the theatre/opera area (Teatro Real) and then finally via the Palacio Real, culminating in the backstreets of the theatre district with no mercado in site. C'est la vie, it was not meant to be on this day. I strolled back to the apartment bidding the woman of the night that occupy the area a pleasant evening and a sweet adieu ,all in the same breath,before calling it quits on this day in Madrid.


Teatro Real - Madrid


Palacio Real - Madrid


Plaza de la Villa - Madrid