Please utilise this space to search this blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Siem Reap - Angkor Wat - Dreamland

Siem Reap - Angkor Wat (Cambodia)

This blog is starting to become a bit of a travel diary which in itself isn't a bad thing but for the last year it's felt as though I've been catching up on writing about overseas escapades. I'm thankful that my most recent adventure  is just about rounding off in the writing sense as my next one is getting ready to kicks-off! As of the 25th of June I'll be on my way again to such places as Morocco, Spain, France and Serbia - can't wait to be back on the road.


So, now for the dream state. There's few times in your life when you end up in certain places either by fortune or design that you've thought or dreamt about for years, Angkor Wat for me was one of those places.



On my first morning in Siem Reap I woke up at just before 5am, jumped onto my rented bike and rode the 10kms into the Angkor Wat reserve. Without describing it, because I wouldn't do it any justice, the below is what I encountered.







Angkor Wat - Cambodia



I'm thankful that my first glimpse of Angkor was that time of morning. The light slowly illuminating the site as the sun decided to wake from its slumber, a gentle mist settled above the water. Even with the hoards of people that would enter later that morning and during the day , those first moments were still filled with a degree of mystery and anticipation which had made those years of expectation worthwhile.


Again, adequately describing Angkor is not within my means. So I've just added a few pictures below, enjoy.


Angkor Wat - Siem Reap - Cambodia


Angkor Wat - Siem Reap - Cambodia







Angkor Wat - Siem Reap - Cambodia

Angkor Wat - Siem Reap - Cambodia


Bayon temple - Siem Reap - Cambodia



Bayon temple - Siem Reap - Cambodia




Ta Prohm - Siem Reap - Cambodia


Angkor Wat - Siem Reap - Cambodia




No comments: