Please utilise this space to search this blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Western Europe - Keep calm and drive on tour - wrap


Western Europe
01 September - 15 September 2015


It's a wrap 
It has become standard for me when I've ended a trip I've taken to doing a last summary or a 'greatest hits' review whenever I managed to complete the final entry on the 'how, why, when and whatever else may have been alcohol related' blog series of my most recent escapades. Sticking with tradition and therefore adopting the same template that I've used in the past, see also;

The end was almost as anticipated as the beginning.  We experienced  a lesson in what happens when energy, age, thoughts, ideas and the capacity of four people are so different that those disparate thoughts cause a god awful mess, but hey, enough of the bad staff, here's a list of some of the highlights.

WESTERN EUROPE  - 'THE FINAL'


Favourite places

1. Madrid (Spain) & Lisbon (Portugal) - It's hard to split this pair. Madrid is known to me, it's regal, exquisite, noble, just damn beautiful but Lisbon, well, it was the surprise packet. A vibrant, colourful, energetic city in its own right. Hard to split so they both occupy the top spot.


Madrid - Spain

Lisbon - Portugal

Lisbon - Portugal



3. Chamonix (France) - The backdrop here is stunning, how can you not be impressed by the rooftop of Europe at your backdoor.

Chamonix - France


Most Surprising

1. Montpellier (France) - I'm basing this completely from one afternoon and one evening but from what I saw, such a cool mix of modern city life and old town charm. I didn't have any expectations before stopping there, in fact, I didn't even know that we would be making a stop but am glad that it happened.

Coolest place for a night out

1. I'm basing this just off this trip, so I'm covering my true favourites by my own circumstance, but on this occasion Lisbon (Portugal) won out. I mean this could also go to Barcelona, Madrid or San Sebastian but Lisbon had such a great vibe about it and areas that were more than just willing to support your night out but also dragged you into their party and demanded for you to stay.



Best drinks

It must have been the nature of this trip but truly there was no stand out. In actual fact, I don't recall drinking that much at all, so the surprise here is that the register has nothing to show.

Can you believe it moments?

1. Driving 11hrs in a day - Why? What was the need? We drove from San Sebastian to Chamonix in a day, for what reason, I don't know? We weren't late, we weren't required to be there, we were just keeping to a mysterious schedule that had completely no basis and was just plain non-sensical.

On the road in France - only 7 HOURS TO GO!


On the road in France



Best Accommodation
1. Hotel do Chiado - Lisbon - (Portugal) - The road to get to this place was paved with bad luck, and yet, it all worked out as this hotel had the greatest view over the central part of Lisbon

 Hotel do Chiado - Lisbon - Portugal

Hotel do Chiado - Lisbon - Portugal

Hotel do Chiado - Lisbon - Portugal


Hotel do Chiado - Lisbon - Portugal