Please utilise this space to search this blog

Monday, February 16, 2009

Paris - Later that night...up on the hill


After taking in the views across Paris from the Eiffel Tower I headed back to the last village of the city and decided I'd spend the rest of the evening just absorbing myself in the area, walking the small cobble stoned streets, taking up residence at cafe, struggling through several glasses of wine, taking photos and all things else associated with Montmarte. Yes, its 'touristy' to a degree but as I've said before, most well known places are, it just makes it par for the course. Without going into any more detail than I need to, this is the way I finished off my third day.

Cutting through the streets, climbing up to the top of Montmarte

A unique dish, the speciality of Montmarte...apparently



Now this dish is hardcore. I was sold with the fact that it was apparently a 'speciality' of Montmarte, although that's also code for 'the chef has an oversupply of these ingredients'. From what I could deduce, a few small layers of ham, some egg, three tomatoes for presentation and the rest was three or so different types of melted cheese. Man was it rich ! A small dish but a major mental effort, no pain no gain eh. It's one of those dishes where three to four bites is enough and the overall satisfaction decrease exponentially, especially when you catch a sight of the bottom of the plate and realise how fare you have to travel.
Typical Montmarte night scene

This is of my favourite shots of Paris, as for me, it's 'typically' Paris, or perhaps what I had always imagined it to me. Cafes on both sides, cobble stoned streets, beautifully illuminated and the solitary couple on the street just standing as a metaphor for all that is romantic and atmospheric about the city.
Basilica de Sacre Coeur




Another favourite shot, this shows the Basilica lit up and night but there's some great shadows on the dome and the centre of the show completely dark which also assists with the colour in the foreground. There's a lot of character in this one, it's as if the building has a presence and maybe in a way it does. It holds a commanding position over Paris, almost a 'guardian' type post.
Basilica de Sacre Coeur



Day or night there are always people gathered here, well, I assume during the Summer months in any case. It's a hell of a spot, a 180 degree spin from here and you have the lights of Paris spread out in front of you.
Cafe in Montmartre


Just your typical cafe but there's something very appealing, engaging about it. Also typical for European cafes, the chairs and tables face the street, made specifically for people watching, a favourite past time. I think from memory I took this on my way down the hill to Pigalle where I jumped a train and headed back for Luxembourg, my home station in case that was confusing. Yet another great day and another fabulous night.

No comments: