Please utilise this space to search this blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Barcelona - The town that Gaudi built


You know, sometimes I get the feeling that town, cities or countries have colours, for example, Marrakech and Fez felt like they should have been wrapped in burgundy, purple and chocolate. Paris felt like shades of blue dependant on it's mood and Barcelona, well, it was like a rich sunset, oranges, reds etc. So, if I had to pick a shot that was most representative of the feel that Barcelona had for me, it would be the one below.





That's Barcelona for me, a sunset that's fiery, colourful, passionate, inspiring - something that just envelopes you. Each city is special of course and there's elements of each that are unique, intruiging and wonderous...and I have to admit, Barcelona wasn't even my favourite city but it's mood and temprement was perhaps the one that I most associated with. Other times it's not even the physical side of a city but the landscapes and the atmosphere that the music or art creates, sometimes it's that which you find most endearing, triggering those neurons in your mind.
So, my second day in Barcelona started with a stroll down on the few kms of beaches down at la Barceloneta. Not the most amazingly beautiful place but impressive in its proximity to the centre.
Homenatge a la Barceloneta






After strolling for a few hours I headed down to the Harbour Cable Car which cuts across Barcelona harbour and provides some of the most amazing views of the city. I'd got to admit, the cable car looked particularly old school and the type of rickety structure that was bound to make global headlines for collapsing in 5km per hour winds. Never the less, I'm never one to shirk my responsibilities for taking on things that are dangerous (even of the danger is only created in my mind, lol). Without question though, the views were spectacular and the trip across the harbour well worth the experience.



You know, am not in the mood so much right now to add too much more about where I went and what I did. I can say that the experiences, landscapes, the sights, sounds, people etc, formulate the impressions and feelings that you always carry with you. It might be 'travel wankery' as some people term it but I truly believe that term to be less about what travel imparts and more about either the jealousy or fear that other people carry about with them - that's cool with me, because I'm not one of them and I'm happy to be that. So, without further adieu, I present my imagines of Barcelona from day two :)
Street performer - Las Ramblas







No comments: