Please utilise this space to search this blog

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Paris - Metro station

So much to see, where the hell to begin ? Usually my adventures in a city are less be design and more by good fortune, actually, that's always the case. I never plan on being or seeing something at a certain time, I just use a 'rough mental guide' and make my way. As such, on this Sunday morning I took a nice stroll down Boulevard St Michele, absorbing everything around me. In the grand scheme of Paris and it surrounds, probably not a unique or special area as such, but to me the whole damn experience was something to be savoured. As I walked down the road closer to the Seine, I thought, coffee time. Lets kick off with a cliche and just get more and more 'cliche hardcore' from there. I guess that the adage of 'When in Rome' applies to 'When in Paris'. I pulled myself up a seat, and went the whole nine yards. My French is almost non-existant but I went at it, disgusting pronunciation and all, one croissant and a white coffee, si vous plait.


I've got to say, as much as I was tempted to hold off my first visit to the Eiffel Tower I just couldn't do it. Six months of looking at it on a wall in French class, nearly 20 damn years of thinking about 'one day' going to the place to pay a visit, ladies and gentleman, it was on. To the metro my fine fellow. The St-Michele Notre Dame station was literally a few mtrs away, so I picked myself up the equivalent of a travel 10 pass and headed west on the Metro. Past stations that for some reason I had been taught about and brought back teenage memories, Musee d'Orsay, Invalides, Pont de l'Alma and then Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel. I was at the station baby, my exit was near and the time had arrived !









I remember walking out of the station and seeing the Eiffel Tower peaking over a tree lined street. I took my camera out and took a shot, I've got to say, It was one of the most cheesiest smiles I've pulled but also one of the most pure. For the sake of posterity in capturing a truly great moment for me, I've added it just here. Man, just looking at it now it makes me laugh but hey, a more genuine smile you couldn't get, c'est la vie.




There I was, walking along the Seine, Eiffel Tower in view and me feeling a little giddy would you believe. It's amazing, for it's day and age this structure is a monster. In total, 324 mtrs, the only building of any real significance in Paris (in terms of height) and one the most, if not the most iconic structures in the world. Crossing the road and walking up to it and seeing the Champ de Mars beyond was a memory I'll never forget, neither will I forget the crowds waiting to buy tickets to enter. Although on closer inspection the lines moved relatively quickly and on my return a couple of days later gettting up for a spin was not going to be a problem at all.




I walked beneath the Eiffel Tower and out into the parks immedialtely beyond, all I wanted to do was absorb my surrounds. So I parked it, I must have sat there for close to two hours. I know, just a building to some but a never ending mental quest to get here for me, and so it was. There's no need to put too much emphasis on it but hey, have added another picture just as a memory of what it looked like.


After taking a few shots too many I decided to walk the streets for a while and then make my way up to the Champs de Eleysees. If your going to go hardcore Parisian then this is the way to do it right ?

I guess what impressed me, other than Paris being the archetypical European city is just its feel or presence for. It felt like the eternally chic and romantic city that it has been billed as by anyone and everyone.


I cruised the streets for a little while long, taking in as much as I could, finally making my way up to the Champs de Elysees and also pulling into the view the almost as iconic Arc de Triomphe. Just for the hell of it, have also added a photo below.



The funny thing about this photo, and I guess with many people that take this shot, is they they are dodging a fair bit of traffic in order to get it. Many people stroll across the road and just hold the traffic up in order to get the 'perfect' shot. Funny for me, not so amusing for a Parisian I'd imagine. I guess the only disappointing thing about walking down the road was that it was overtly French, in that almost kitsch, overdone touristic way. Of course the guidebooks have warned of this. Sometimes the guide books are wrong but on this occasion they were on the money. The cafes in this area were way overpriced also. Not that Paris is a cheap place to be, I'd say the prices are 30-40% above those of Sydney on most things but on this road some of the items actually made me laugh out loud. Seriously, 6-7 Euro for a coffee, something like $10 ? If you were really hanging out for one but damn, I could jump down a few side streets and get it for about 2-3 Euro.

I walk most of the way down the Champs de Elysees making a left hand turn 'somewhere', who knows really. I had the aim of cutting through the backstreets and making my way up to Montmarte...but I'll save that aspect for another entry.



















No comments: