Please utilise this space to search this blog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Paris - Talk to me Vincent


The inside information was that the Musee d'Orsay was 'the museum' to check out in Paris, and of a city of museum's that's a pretty big call. Being a fan of Impressionism and knowing a few of the well know artists of the era I thought it pertinent to start my rounds here. I've got to say that I wasn't disappointed at all.

The museum itself is quite unusual in that it's built into the old Orsay railway station which originally was build for the Universal Exhibition of 1900. Its location is basically on the banks of the Seine. opposite the Tuileries gardens. For me that was a morning cafe stop and a station stop away from St.Michele Notre Dame station. No surprise, on arrival the queue was already snaking around the chains and barricades set up so as to keep the sheep orderly but I knew better, I knew the wait wouldn't be all too bad and definitely worth it.

Truthfully, the first few floors of the museum weren't too important for me. That's not to say that I didn't take an interest but the artists that I came to see were hanging out in the 'penthouse'. I guess museum directors knew the deal also but lifting them up to the rarified space of levels five and six of the station. Now, I'm not quite certain of my methodolgy, what I encountered first etc, but here are a few of my favourites and I think some well recognised pieces.

Arearea - Joyousness Gauguin


I know a little bit about Gauguin in that his intention was to set off to Tahiti in search of traces of a primitive way of life. He ended up staying and eventually dieing in Tahiti - in terms of his works however, they came from the amazing imagery of his surrounds, the culture, people, local stories and religious traditions. I guess his paintings in themselves don't so much inspire me, well, not as much as others but definitely understand his love/passion of Tahiti and its people. It's a spectacular destination and the people so warm and friendly.
Self portrait - Van Gogh


The Mona Lisa aside, the self portrait of Vincent Van Gogh is probably one of the most recognised in the world. The tragedy of his existence and the unrecognised talent only goes to further heighten the legend of such a 'tragic genious'. What I liked about this were the brush strokes and the overall formulation of the painting. Admittedly I don't know anything about are but beauty is definitely within the eye of the beholde

Starry Night - Van Gogh




'Often it seems to me that the night is even more richly coloured than the day' - now you're talking to me Vincent. Out of all the paintings I saw this by far was my favourite out of a magnificent bunch. Before adding any more I want to add a picture I took on the Seine, totally inspired by this painting. I'm interested in seeing the match up.




Well I can see it, there's something very atmospheric about the painting but also, the texture got me. The stars are emphasised texturally, which for me is an interesting technique and really adds an extra dimension to the entire composition.
After a fantastic morning wondering through the museum I decided to finally take on the throngs of people milling around the base of the Eiffel Tower and make my way up for a view of this city. I guess one of the first things that I noticed on my arrival was the heavy security presence. It was more than noticeable, it was a distinct presence - which was exacerbated when some 'doosh' decided to drop a can from the first level of the tower. Not only did it spark the interest of all the police in the immediate surrounds but got me thinking that if that had hit someones soft cranium then they'd be in a world of instantaneous pain, perhaps brain damage or worse. The stupid things you think about when you get older and become more sensible eh.
Now there's a few ways that you can make your way up the tower, either by lift to the second level and then another to the top, or you can walk up to the second level and catch a lift to the top. Ofcourse, you know me, always up for a physical challenge and I took on the steps up to the second level and then made my way up to the top.

I can say, I'm not afraid of heights at all but as the lift moved from the second level and headed upwards, looking out the windows kind of felt like you more moving in a space of nothingness. As the tower tapers in, your movement upwards means that you get closer to the structure and the feel is closer to a virtual fall. An amazing feeling I must say but there were a few people who definitely hit panic stations. The views however were nothing short of amazing, a truly spectacular angle of this magnificant town. As has been my tendency in the last few entries, I've added a few photos to show you what it was like.
Champ de Mars from the top of the Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe from the top of the Eiffel Tower
Looking out over the Seine, to the Louvre


Another day and yet another highlight. Paris is wonderous, without question but this to me was a boyhood dream, one seeing the Eiffel Tower in 'real life' and the second was making it to the top. One day I'd like to be able to come back and share this all with someone...maybe...but if not, I'm more than happy to come back and do it all again, although I'd love to spend a lot, lot longer.

No comments: